Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Week 7 DEM

3D Model of Data area with elevation delineated by color gradient
Digital Elevation Models or DEMs are extremely useful in creating accurate maps of hilly areas.  I used the data provided on the course website, and as such, I do not know what the area is called where the data came from.  I do however know the coordinates of the map area, as I was able to recall them using the source data of my provided DEM data set.  The extent of my data is as follows: 39.384-39.829 degrees north; 104.969-105.789 degrees west.  My areas is a mountainous area wherein there is a steep elevation change as the mountains taper off into a valley, lake, river or ocean.  Below are maps I have created.  Hillshade demonstrates the elevation model with hills shaded such as in a topographical map.  Slope demonstrates the degree of slope, or the steepness of the terrain.  I have overlaid it on top of my original DEM data, so as to give the viewer an accurate depiction of the region.  Lastly, I have created an Aspect map, which shows the direction in which each of the slopes face.  This data could be used in development work, as the slope, and the aspect will to a greater extent determine the potential land use of the area.




No comments:

Post a Comment